Mining potential of Turkey lands possessing the world’s largest boron reserve goes back to BC 7000. Considering the sale of the obsidians extracted for the first time in the Eastern Anatolia region to the surrounding tribes through barter of the neolithic age, the importance of the underground treasures which Turkey possess becomes more clear in the world mining history.
After the proclamation of the Republic, with Etibank established within the direction of Gazi Mustafa Kemal Atatürk’s future vision, mining activities in our country has started to be carried out. The institution named Eti Holding A.Ş. with the restructuring in 1935 was structured again and named Eti Maden Operations General Directorate.
In the way from Etibank to Eti Maden Operations General Directorate
In the way from Etibank to Eti Maden Operations General Directorate;
- In 1934, the Turkish Republic’s first mining investment, Isparta – Keçiborlu Sulphur Plant was established.
- Etibank was established in 1935 upon the directive of Gazi Mustafa Kemal Atatürk with the purpose of “operating and making use of the underground resources of our country, to produce the mines, raw materials, energy and all kinds of banking treatments that our industry needs”.
- In 1939, Copper Plant in Elâzığ – Ergani and Elâzığ – Guleman Chrome Plant were established.
- In 1955, it was transferred to TDÇİ for Iron mining and iron – steel production.
- In 1957, Coal mining was transferred to TKİ. Muğla – Üçköprü Chrome Plant and Antalya Electrometallurgy Plant were established.
- In 1958, Kütahya – Emet Cholemanite Plant was established.
- In 1959, Kastamonu – Küre Copper Plant was established.
- In 1960, İzmir – Halıköy Mercury Plant was established.
- In 1964, Balıkesir – Bandırma Borax Plant was established.
- In 1965, Konya – Seydişehir Aluminium Plant was established.
- In 1968, Muğla – Milas Bauxite Plant was established.
- In 1970, Eskişehir – Kırka Borax Plant was established.
- In 1972, Elâzığ – Şarkkromları Ferrochromium Plant, İzmir – Cumaovası Pearlite Plant and Balıkesir Bandırma Sulphuric Acid Plant were commissioned.
- In 1974, Konya – Beyşehir Barite Plant and Mardin – Mazıdağı Phosphate Plant were established.
- In 1976, Balıkesir – Bandırma Borax Plant was found.
- In 1979, Bursa – Kestelek Cholemanite Plant was established.
- In 1980, Kütahya – Gümüşköy Plant was established.
- In 1982 the marketing company for Northern European market, AB Etiproducts OY was established in Finland.
- In 1983, Turkey’s first and largest foreign capital participation company Etibank and Çayeli Bakır İşletmeler A.Ş. which it has 45% of the shares were established in Rize with cabinet decree.
- In 1984 the marketing company for Western European market, Etimine SA was established in Luxembourg.
- In 1993, KBİ A.Ş., Çinkur A.Ş. and Etibank Bankacılık A.O. left Etibank and were transferred to the Prime Ministry Privatization Administration.
- In 1994, Ergani Copper, Keçiborlu Sulphur, Halıköy Mercury and Mazıdağı Phosphate Plants were closed.
- In 1997, Balıkesir – Bandırma I. Sodium Perborate Monohydrate Plant was commissioned.
- Etibank was restructured in 1998 and Eti Holding A.Ş. and its subsidiaries; Eti Bor A.Ş., Eti Alüminyum A.Ş., Eti Krom A.Ş., Eti Bakır A.Ş., Eti Gümüş A.Ş., Eti Elektrometalurji A.Ş., Eti Pazarlama ve Dış Ticaret A.Ş. were established.
- In 2000, II. Sodium Perborate Monohyrate Plant in Bandırma was commissioned. Among our subsidiaries, Eti Bakır A.Ş., Eti Krom A.Ş, Eti Elektrometalurji A.Ş., Eti Gümüş A.Ş. were transferred to the Privatization Administration.
- With the decision of the High Planning Council dated 26.04.2001 and 2001/T-9 in 2001, the subsidiary status of Eti Pazarlama ve Dış Ticaret A.Ş. was removed and was transferred to Eti Holding A.Ş. General Directorate.
- In 2003, Eti Alüminyum A.Ş. among our subsidiaries and our shares in Çayeli Copper Plant among our affiliates were transferred to the Privatization Administration.
- In 2004, Eti Holding A.Ş. was restructured and named Eti Maden Operations General Directorate. Balıkesir Bandırma Boron and Acid Factories, Balıkesir Bigadiç Boron, Kütahya Emet Boron, Eskişehir Kırka Boron, Bursa Kestelek Boron Operations Directorates were all joined to Eti Maden structure. With the decision of the High Planning Council dated 30/12/2004 and numbered 2004/T-39, Eti Zeolit Kimya Sanayii ve Ticaret Anonim Şirketi’s subsidiary status was removed and was transferred to Eti Maden Operations General Directorate. Bandırma New Sulphuric Acid Plant was commissioned.
- In 2009, accepted with the High Planning Council’s decision dated 16/9/2009 and numbered 2009/T-22 and published in the Official Gazette dated 9/11/2009 and numbered 27401, Kestelek Boron Operations was removed from Eti Maden Operations General Directorate Main Status.
- In 2010, Bursa Kestelek and Balıkesir Bigadiç Boron Operations Directorate became the Chief Engineer of the production directorate in the organizational structure.
- With the decision of the High Privatization Board dated 21/2/2011 and numbered 2011/14 in 2011; 28,2% affiliate share of Eti Maden Operations General Directorate in Hidrojen Peroksit Sanayi ve Ticaret A.Ş. were taken under the privatization scope and program.
- In 2013, Boron, Boron Cleaning Product, sensitive to the environment and human health was produced.
- In 2014, İzmir and İstanbul Logistics Directorates were closed with the decision of the Board of Directors dated 26/6/2014 and numbered 578/22, logistics operations related to the export of the products to abroad have started to be carried out by the central organization.
- In 2015, with the decision of Board of Directors dated 9/4/2015 and numbered 621/3, The “Beylikova Fluoride, Barite and Rare Earthworks Operations Directorate” was established as a provincial organization in the organization.
- World Boron Leader Eti Maden has located its quality policy in boron and boron products on to produce the boron resources in international standards and to bring Turkey a prestigious position in the global arena.